Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A recommendation letter from a nurse!

I have had the privilege to work with a wonderful nurse at AMC- Atlanta Medical Center. Although I have edited out parts that have information not relative to this recommendation, I have been given permission to share a bit of her letter with you here. Often folks ask how nurses feel about working with doulas. I think this letter tells the story of how some like working along side of us!


"You are an excellent doula and really believe in the natural process of childbirth. I have worked labor and delivery at AMC for 22 years. The only other place I have ever worked is [hospital name] hospital so odd as it may sound...totally natural childbirth is something we really didn't see a whole lot of at AMC until Margaret, Anjuli, and our other midwife group came...after the OB residency got shut down. (She then goes on to describe the medical over management of the previous program) My whole career is based very much on this model of childbirth which is horrible! The births were never about what the mom dreamed about for the birth of her child.
 
I so appreciate the work you do and have very much enjoyed the births that we have had together thus far. You are a wonderful advocate for the families you doula for and I know you make their experience even more precious with your love and support. I have watched you with your camera at each of the births we have been apart of together. I bet you get some truly amazing shots that really capture what women really go thru.  I so appreciate the work that you do. You and Margaret work very well together. It is a truly wonderful pleasure for me to get to work with you!

You are truly a very special woman and so pro empowering women to do what their bodies were so perfectly made to do! I am learning a lot from Margaret and from you too. Natural childbirth is an incredibly amazing accomplishment...I was talking with Margaret after [the mom's name of whom we worked with}'s delivery and asked her point blank if she thought she could have done what that mom just did herself:) And I loved her answer...she said "I have honestly never met a woman who I thought couldn't! As a woman/mom you just do what you gotta do!" Isn't that just the perfect answer? :) "

Kathy, 7.13.2010

No comments: