Monday, January 5, 2009

Letter from Jen

My name is Jen Hayden. I took Pam's Birthing From Within class this fall as well as the Happiest Baby on the Block class. I would've been in the December breastfeeding class too but my little son Eli decided he wanted to be born that day so we didn't make it to class! :)

I am writing because I want to say thank you. My pregnancy journey started out with me being the typical women who goes to her OB when she gets pregnant and then follows the lead of her doctor. When I was 8 weeks pregnant I became friends with a woman who gave birth to her baby at home. I couldn't believe my ears. I had never met anyone who had done that before. As our friendship developed we spent a lot of time discussing her experience and slowly I began to read books about natural child birth. After reading Ina May's book and the Thinking Woman's Guide I knew my journey was about to change course. I searched for a Midwife in my area and couldn't find one under my insurance so I somehow ended up at a midwifery practice at my local hospital. I was so disappointed in the midwives there. I had such high expectations of what a midwife would be like and they just didn't fit the mold for me. In the meantime, I knew I wanted to hire a doula. I somehow stumbled across A Labor of Love. In all honesty I have no idea how my pregnancy and my birth would have turned out if I hadn't discovered your company. I read the doula's profile and chose Alicia. We connected immediately and she referred me to her OB ( I thought she was crazy for using an OB but I trusted her) so I interviewed him and chose to switch offices. I was so worried about not using a midwife but Alicia assured me I'd be happy with him. All of my prenatal visits went smoothly, Alicia and I talked a lot over the summer, and I continued to read books. Then I enrolled in Pam's Birthing From Within class. I had no idea what to expect from class. I can't say enough about it. The classroom itself was comfortable and warm. I loved the pictures and art on the walls (I would sit and stare at the spiral with the words written on it- this is the Lawrenceville class space that Teresa uses). Pam is such a wonderful person as well as instructor. I walked away from the class feeling like I couldn't have been any more prepared. I kept thinking throughout my pregnancy that I was Superwoman and I was just trying to sew up my cape as my birth got closer and closer. There is no doubt in my mind that having Pam as my instructor and Alicia as my doula was the reason why I had such a beautiful birth experience. They gave me so much support and encouragement about having my baby. I always knew there was strength among woman but it is so much different when it comes to birth. Both of these woman have left lasting impressions on me and will always remain special in my heart. I feel like I am now part of an elite club of woman who birth their babies naturally. I want to thank you for providing woman with such wonderful doulas to choose from as well as classes. I wish there were more companies like yours all over the country so other woman could experience what I did. I tell everyone I know about A Labor of Love and what a great birth experience I had as a result of it.

If my husband and I are still living in Georgia when I get pregnant with baby #2 you can be sure we will be seeing you again! Thank you again!

Sincerely,
Jen Hayden

No comments: