Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Letter from Sherri

January 28, 2005

From: Sherri Paterson
To: Prospective Client of Guina Bixler

Subject: Letter of Recommendation

Early in my pregnancy I was diagnosed with Placenta Previa. It was looking for a while that I would likely have a scheduled C-Section. So, for a long time, I did not think I would need a doula. I had meet a couple of doulas (not affiliated w/ Labor of Love) early on in my pregnancy, but by the time I found out the placenta had moved out of the way in week 32 the doula's I meet where booked up!

Luckily, I had been going to the Norcross YMCA and met Kate, a Prenatal Aquatics Instructor. As a doula student herself, she referred me to www.cappa.com. In turn, I saw a Labor of Love doula on the list (Teresa) and was then referred to Guina. Who I was told up front, was a very gentle, soothing doula.

Teresa was certainly right….. Guina has an extremely gentle and soothing, grace under pressure spirit. My husband, Troy and I felt comfortable with her from our first meeting. It was great to have found a doula and we felt good knowing that Labor of Love had several doula's in case Guina had 2 births in the same night, there would be a back-up doula available. Luckily, the night I went into labor, Guina was ready and available.

I was 4 days past my due date when I went into labor and was READY to have the baby! I started labor on Dec. 1st at 4:30 p.m. and went to the hospital at 10:30 p.m. Guina met us at the hospital shortly after midnight. She found us in the hallway walking around. She showed me how to "squat" and hold onto the rails in the halls, which helped my contractions. During my 24-hour labor Guina and my husband Troy were there. As well as hospital staff and Troy's parents periodically.

During my very looooong labor Guina helped us with breathing techniques, massages (as I had back and leg spasms), birthing ball (which rocks! I loved rotating my hips, and got in a trace-like state to get through the contractions), soft music was played, she used lavender massage lotion and oils, affirmations and mantras to get through the labor. Unfortunately for me labor was felt from 2cm and upwards it just got more and more intense! If I had not done some of the techniques Guina showed us I never would have made it to 8cm. Near the end of my labor I had pain meds and an epidural. Good thing too because to everyone's surprise, when I was at 8cm my placenta ruptured. An emergency C-Section was done.

I am happy to say Ben and I we're doing fine. I was weak after the labor, as would be expected. I think Ben was actually doing better than I was, at that point!! We stayed in the hospital for a few days and went home healthy and very happy!

Ben is now 4 mos. old and is doing great. I am recovered from my C-Section and have been back at the gym recently, which is just wonderful!

Guina came by to visit us not too long ago and brought us some pictures during labor and Ben's Birth Story. It was such a wonderful experience that I highly recommend and of course I highly recommend Guina as a doula.

Sincerely,
Sherri Paterson, a.k.a. Ben's Mom

No comments: