Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Mary's letter

The smartest thing I ever did was hire a doula!

My husband travels extensively for his job. Although we arranged for him to be in town the week before and after our due date, our baby came three weeks early! Sure enough, he was landing in Austin, TX at midnight as I was going into labor in Atlanta, GA! Fortunately I had been in close touch with Teresa, my doula and she arrived at the hospital minutes after me. I would have been really nervous and frightened without her as my labor progressed very quickly and i was in a lot of pain. She calmed me down, helped me labor and explained to me the procedures and monitoring that were going on around me. (Don't expect the labor and delivery nurses or doctor to do this: they are too busy.) She even told me what forms I was signing between contractions. (This was despite sending in our pre-admission paperwork early.) She was more than my coach. With her amazing blend of experience, knowledge and mothering, she gave me courage and comfort and support at a scary time. Within 3 1/2 hours, our son was born. All this before my husband was even able to board the first plane back to Atlanta.

I adore my husband and he's a very capable man. And I'm typically a pretty tough cookie. But knowing what I know now, I wouldn't contemplate entering into labor without the help of a doula. We are just so grateful she was there for our family.

Mary G

Smyrna, GA

No comments: